⏳ Are you in a hurry? Then here’s your short DJI RS 2 Review summary:
Product Name: DJI RS 2
Product Description: The DJI RS2 is a tri-axis gimbal stabilizer specifically developed for DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
Value for Money
- Lightweight construction for optimal portability;
- Great for transforming mobile footage into pro-looking material;
- Multi-platform / model compatibility
- Involves a higher learning curve;
- Definitely not for novices;
- More expensive than most gimbals
Introduction to our DJI RS 2 Review
Welcome to our DJI RS 2 review!
With the advent of digital camera technology, so have the accessories that have made shooting footage so much easier.
But while major film studios and media networks have so many pieces of equipment that can help them produce stunning materials, how about individual filmmakers, experimental cineastes, and those who do still photography or event coverage for a living? While they do have professional-grade cameras (DSLRs for the most part), they don’t have much in the way of dollies and other equipment to boost the quality of their productions.
That said, let’s see how our DJI RS 2 reviews can change the game when it comes to DSLR use.
DJI is a brand best known for its drone-deployed camera setups. In previous reviews involving the brand, we have noted the quality of their products and the way that they have become must-haves for those who are into outdoor and landscape photography, architects requiring a 360-degree view of projects, and even avid hobbyists.
But DJI is also known for camera accessories, and their gimbal stabilizers are right up there with some of the best in the industry. While most of them are meant to be used for mobile phones, today’s review covers a model that was specifically made for DSLR cameras.
What is the DJI RS2 Tri-axis Gimbal Stabilizer?
The DJI RS2 is a tri-axis gimbal stabilizer specifically developed for DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
It was specifically developed for professional content creators, independent filmmakers, and those who make their living from moving imagery and creative photography.
Right out of the box, the DJI RS2 comes with the following DJI RS 2 accessories:
- Tested payload of around 10lbs, making it the gimbal with the highest weight-to-payload ratio in the imaging industry;
- Carbon fiber construction in the form of monocoque carbon-fiber tri-axis arms for maximum strength yet convenient lightness;
- 1.4″ full-color LCD touch screen to adjust the parameters;
- Ronin imaging application so as to be able to use the gimbal with your mobile device;
- ActiveTrack 3.0 for smooth motion tracking with or without a dolly;
- Professional mounting options for just about anything from cars, jibs, sliders, and even long-distance solutions; and
- Dual-layer camera mounting plate to ensure efficient balancing between payloads.
How to use it?
Prior to initially using the DJI RS2, be sure to download and install the Ronin functionality app into your mobile phone.
Once you've done this, perform the following procedure:
- Press the power button and hold to power on the gimbal;
- Enable Bluetooth on your mobile device;
- Launch the Ronin DJI RS 2 app:
- Register or log in with your DJI account;
- Select DJI RS2 on the equipment list;
- Enter the default password 12345678; then
- Follow the app's instructions to activate. Keep in mind that a network connection is required throughout the activation;
- DJI RS2 will enter sleep mode after successful activation;
- Press the power button twice to exit sleep mode before use.
Benefits and Advantages
Gimbals are always very useful. The DJI RS 2 Combo certainly delivers in terms of the following benefits:
- It’s both portable and manageable to carry, making it a great choice for both interior and exterior shoots;
- It offers optimal image stabilization for both stills and moving footage;
- It allows users to produce stunning videos even when working alone;
- Great for tracking movement without blurring; and
- You can easily shift from vertical to horizontal shooting and vice versa.
Users' DJI RS 2 Reviews
“The DJI RS 2 Pro Combo is a PHENOMENAL piece of equipment. This gimbal is clearly the best on the market right now and is one of the most priciest. I have the DJI Ronin S and the Zhiyun Crane 3 – yet this, by far, is the most superior. When it arrived, the form factor was more compact than the predecessors. The materials are made with super high quality and machined well for the most part. It's an exquisite piece of art, and I love the touch screen and how intuitive it is. The RavenEye is a nice addition to this; it's a pain to get up and running, but very nice when it does.”David S.
“The DJI RS2 unit I ordered came with a neat pouch that houses all the components in a compact, padded, and zippered environment. The motors are more than capable of handling the load capacity on the spec sheet however you will damage your product if you skimp on balancing properly for the sake of “time/speed”. Practice and put in the time developing a feel for a correctly balanced before a paid gig so when it's go-time,you are able to pivot without making costly and avoidable errors. Battery life is awesome and easy to charge the unit via USB-C.”Godfrey T.
“Everything about the DJI RS2 speaks of attention to detail. The interface is a huge advantage, the shortcuts, and the little functions that make the gimbal so user friendly. The focus ring and trigger work quite well, and you can customize what you want to control with it. The record button, if half-pressed and held, acts the same way as a half-pushed shutter button on your camera, so you can select focus whenever necessary. Also, it is quick and easy to stabilize before use, or changing lenses; all parts slide with gentle use of force.”Jem E.
DJI RS 2 Price
You can get the DJI RS2 for $759.00 and users can get 1% of their payment back as DJI Credit for other purchases in the future.
If you wish to buy a DJI RS2 with more than the usual run of bells and whistles, consider the DJI RS 2 Pro Combo at $909.00.
Again, fees for shipping and handling are not included.
If you aren’t satisfied with the DJI RS 2 and the item has no visible physical defects, you may return it to the manufacturer for either a refund or replacement within fourteen calendar days of delivery.
The fourteen-day rule also applies to purchases wherein the product is defective or has visible damage.
Where to buy?
To ensure that you’re getting an authentic DJI RS2 setup, we recommend buying the product through its official retail site.
Conclusion to our DJI RS 2 Review
What is it best for?
DSLR and mirrorless camera users, but preferably those who make a living through photography and video coverage.
What is it not best for?
This is probably not the best fit for casual hobbyists.
DJI RS 2 Alternatives
- DJI RS2 vs RSC2. The RS2 is perfect for bulkier camera arrangements while the RSC2 is foldable and portable.
- DJI RS 2 vs RS 3. Consider the more technologically advanced DJI RS 3 as a potential alternative.
DJI RS 2 Reviews Final Word
Much like the DJI RSC 2, the DJI RS2 is definitely a portable gimbal for the big leagues.
Even if you’re a one-person production crew, using an RS2 ensures smooth and clear footage that is bound to look fantastic during playback.
How many people or moving objects can the gimbal track while using the Active Track feature?
Unfortunately, the DJI RS2 can only follow one subject at a time during ActiveTrack mode.
Can I use the DJI RS2 with a mobile phone?
No, this particular gimbal was developed for mirrorless and DSLR cameras, but you can control the gimbal if you download the Ronin app into your mobile device.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this DJI RS 2 review, we are grateful. Hopefully, you now know the features, as well as pros and cons of this amazing product! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of gadgets, consumer products, and others! Feel free to check them out;