⏳ Are you in a hurry? Then here’s your short DJI OM 5 review summary:
Product Name: DJI OM 5
Product Description: In a nutshell, the DJI OM 5 is a highly upgraded take on its immediate predecessor. It is a 3-axis, magnetic, smartphone gimbal stabilizer.
Value for Money
- Lightweight construction for optimal portability;
- Great for transforming mobile footage into pro-looking material;
- Multi-platform / model compatibility
- Involves a higher learning curve;
- Still lacks some functionality to be considered a truly professional tool
Introduction to our DJI OM 5 Review
You're reading our DJI OM5 Review!
While DJI is a brand best known for the excellence of its drone imaging solutions, it comes as no slouch when it comes to other products like image stabilizers or gimbals upon which one can mount a camera-equipped smartphone.
Thanks to DJI’s OM line of stabilizers, even complete novices and those with shaky hands can shoot stellar snapshots or cinema-standard footage.
In today’s DJI OM 5 review, we’ll see how this particular stabilizer helps people take better photos or shoot gorgeous moving material.
In Hindu practice, the word OM is chanted repeatedly to evoke the primordial sound of the universe: the sound of creation and manifestation which led to the emergence of the world and everything in it.
Perhaps the name was a deliberate choice by the tech team at DJI because the OM series of smartphone gimbal stabilizers has enabled content creators to produce stunning, professional-grade material that can teach, entertain, and enlighten audiences throughout the world.
In which case, we have to ask what makes the DJI OM 5 a better aid for creation than, say, the DJI OM 4 SE and its other predecessors. That’s what our DJI OM 5 review hopes to uncover.
What is the DJI OM 5?
In a nutshell, the DJI OM 5 is a highly upgraded take on its immediate predecessor. It is a 3-axis, magnetic, smartphone gimbal stabilizer.
What are the DJI OM 5 specs?
- DJI's patented image stabilization technology;
- Compact and foldable construction for easy portability;
- Built-in 215mm extension rod to keep your phone and footage stable and provide more in terms of dynamic high- or low-angle shooting;
- Shot Guides which automatically recognize your ambient environment to suggest a shot sequence as well as quick tips for optimized shooting;
- ActiveTrack 4.0 – DJI's most advanced facial / detail recognition technology;
- Compatibility with numerous mobile phone brands including Apple, Samsung, Oppo, Vivo, and Google; and
- Several built-in shooting modes including CloneMe, Panoramic, Story Mode, Dynamic Zoom, Timelapse, and SpinShot.
In order to use the gimbal stabilizer, you will also need to download the latest release of the DJI Mimo application. The DJI Mimo app offers additional features like:
- Simplified media management which automatically uploads your footage to the cloud;
- Intuitive editing suite; and
- DJI Academy online learning archive to learn how to make the most of your imaging equipment.
DJI OM 5 How to use it?
To set up your DJI OM 5:
- Download and install the DJI Mimo app for the DJI OM 5 into your mobile device;
- Mount your phone onto the DJI OM 5:
- Place and center the magnetic phone clamp onto your phone, ensuring that the DJI logo is aligned with your camera;
- Unfold the gimbal;
- Align the magnet with the magnetic point (a white dot) printed on the DJI OM 5;
- Attach the grip tripod to the DJI OM 5; and
- Activate the device through the app, but note that you will need to create a DJI account to maximize use of the device.
Benefits and Advantages
The benefits of using the DJI OM 5 include the following:
- Clearer, steadier-looking footage for both stills and moving imagery;
- Allows users to explore their creative side by way of different shoot modes, but most especially Story Mode;
- You never end up with blurred faces or movement thanks to ActiveTrack 3.0 technology, as well as the FaceTrack feature;
- Users are able to shoot from different, even unusual, angles to capture more amazing images;
- Diverse DJI OM 5 phone compatibility; and
- Even novice users can produce professional-looking footage.
“It’s amazing that this product is under $200 and, when paired with a new iPhone 13 Pro, can create the quality of content that would have taken more than $10,000 worth of equipment to produce a decade ago. In one small backpack, I have this gimbal, a Mavic Air 2, and miscellaneous filters to shoot amazing pro-grade content. DJI made that all possible.”John F.
“I recently purchased the DJI OM 5 Smartphone Gimbal Stabilizer a week after the DJI OM 5 release date and have been absolutely blown away by its performance. The website has DJI OM 5 tips and tricks featured. The gimbal is incredibly easy to use, and allows me to capture smooth, professional-looking video with my smartphone. The various shooting modes and customizable settings make it a versatile tool for any situation, and the compact size makes it easy to take with me on the go.”Luis B.
“I've seen a lot of reviews for this and have wanted to try this out myself – overall, it did not disappoint. The primary advantage of this is the stability of your phone when you're using it. Traveling, as with any activity, often involves a lot of movement. During our trip to Italy and the Swiss Alps, there was a lot of walking on uneven cobblestones, but the videos turned out phenomenal.”Roy O.
DJI OM 5 Price
The standard price of the DJI OM 5 is $129.00, excluding shipping and handling.
Note: At the time we conducted our DJI OM 5 review, the product was currently unavailable on the DJI website.
At the moment, there are no offers for multiple orders of the DJI OM 5, but you may get additional DJI OM 5 accessories together with your purchase.
If you aren’t satisfied with the DJI OM 5 and the item has no visible physical defects, you may return it to the manufacturer for either a refund or replacement within fourteen calendar days of delivery.
The fourteen-day rule also applies to purchases wherein the product is defective or has visible damage.
Where to buy?
To ensure that you’re getting an authentic DJI OM 5 and its accessories, we recommend buying the product through either the official DJI website.
Conclusion to our DJI OM 5 Review
Now, to wrap up our DJI OM 5 Gimbal review;
What is it best for?
Technically, we’d say it works for everyone. However, we noted that the DJI OM 5 app is most stable on Apple devices. Also, this type of gimbal would work best in the hands of more experienced mobile content creators.
What is it not best for?
It has been reported that the gimbal tends to have problems with some Android models in terms of both equipment fit and app performance. You also need to check DJI OM 5 compatibility before you buy.
DJI OM 5 Alternatives
If you want to compare the OM 5 in terms of performance, you may want to give these two gimbals a look for yourselves:
- DJI OM5 vs OM4: Pitting DJI OM 5 vs DJI OM 4, OM 5 may seem unfair, but the OM 4 has a lot going for it. In fact, we particularly like the tri-axis stabilization feature that makes the OM 4 steady as a rock;
- DJI OM 5 vs Zhiyun Smooth 4: Specifically created to pair with iPhones, the Smooth 4 boasts of being able to give users the ability to create cinema-grade productions using their mobile phones.
DJI OM 5 Review Final Word
If OM is the sound of creation, then the DJI OM 5 UK is the perfect physical expression of the word in the sense that it is a powerful tool for visual creators to produce excellent content for their audiences.
What phone brands are compatible with the OM 5?
The OM 5 recently upgraded to work with the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro, the latest in Samsung’s Galaxy and Note series, and Oppo Reno models.
Do I need an app for this to work?
Yes, it’s necessary to download the DJI Mimo app into your device to ensure it can easily pair with the OM 5.
If you've read all the way through this DJI OM 5 review, we are grateful. Hopefully, you now know the features, as well as pros and cons of this amazing product! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of gadgets, consumer products, and others! Feel free to check them out;